Senior living can be challenging for an aging adult who needs help with the activities of daily living, such as eating, dressing, bathing and taking medications. Assisted Living at The Chesapeake in Newport News, VA, offers trusted services and nursing care in a stimulating environment that promotes dignity, independence and socialization. Whether you’re looking for a private apartment for yourself or a couple’s apartment for yourself and your loved one, we can accommodate your needs.
Our caring, highly trained staff will map out an individualized care plan tailored to meet your specific needs. These might include assistance with personal care, medication administration, rehabilitation therapy, housekeeping, shopping, or other help with daily living.
Having just the right amount of help enables you to spread your wings and spend your time relaxing in our indoor saltwater pool, participating in one of our committees, taking a craft class, enjoying outings to local restaurants and museums in the Hampton Roads area, or getting a soothing massage by our therapist. You’ll also indulge in deliciously prepared gourmet meals by our distinguished chef.
To start a confidential conversation about our Assisted Living services at The Chesapeake in Newport News, VA, please fill out our request form.
- 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living
- Medication management
- Licensed nursing staff on site 24/7
- Restaurant-style dining with chef-prepared cuisine
- Weekly housekeeping, laundry and flat linen service
- High level of staff involvement and engagement
- On-site physical, speech and occupational therapies
- Emergency call system with pendant
- Wellness programs to stimulate mind, body and spirit
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Indoor saltwater pool
- Health clinic
- Campus chapel
- On-site bank
- Billiards and game rooms
- Social and cultural activities
- Beauty salon and barbershop
- Scheduled transportation
Residents in Assisted Living enjoy private studio apartments with private baths. Couples’ apartments are also available. We encourage all our residents and their families to personalize the residence with their own furnishings to create the environment they find most comfortable. Most apartments are equipped with kitchenettes, although most residents enjoy the fellowship of dining with others for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Click to enlarge:
- Kitchenette with granite countertops
- Spacious studio and one-bedroom residences
- Spacious bathrooms with granite topped vanities
- Walk-in showers modified to assist with care needs
- Spacious closets
- Family-style living room
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Private dining room for special occasions
- Well-appointed common areas
- All utilities including high-speed internet Wi-Fi (cable television and telephone service included)
The Chesapeake offers four levels of Assisted Living care:
- Assisted Living I serves adults who need only minimal assistance with personal care, dressing, movement and other aspects of daily living.
- Assisted Living II provides more personal care and comprehensive assistance with routine daily living needs.
- Assisted Living III is for residents who’ll benefit from individual assistance with tasks such as bathing, incontinence management, medication administration and other services.
- Memory Care provides care for residents diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia, delivered in a stimulating environment that promotes dignity, independence and socialization.
We are now accepting non residents to our Assisted Living community. Please enquire for current availability.
Commonly Asked Questions:
The Assisted Living residences at The Chesapeake, a Continuing Care Retirement Community, are located on the 40-acre campus at 955 Harpersville Road in Newport News, VA. Assisted Living apartments are under the same roof, and a short walk through the main building connects residents to all the amenities and convenient services The Chesapeake has to offer.
Residents in our Assisted Living area receive assistance with daily activities on an as-needed basis. Residents with minimal memory impairment will find the support they need, while those with greater memory loss needs receive higher levels of support and security in The Williamsburg Center’s memory care program.
Residents typically bring their own furnishings from their independent living apartment; some may find it helpful to select smaller-scale furniture to fit their new surroundings. During these transitions, our social worker is happy to provide assistance and referrals to professional downsizers if needed. We’re happy to answer any further questions you may have.
Residents moving directly to Assisted Living from their home outside of The Chesapeake typically bring their own furnishings. If desired, residents being directly admitted to Assisted Living can use furnishings supplied by The Chesapeake.