At The Chesapeake, we take care of all the details that make life easier, more convenient and more enjoyable, so you can focus on doing what makes you happy and healthy. Our exceptional hospitality, outstanding amenities and innovative wellness programs all come together to create an active lifestyle that will exceed your expectations.
However you decide to spend your day, on campus or off, our independent, maintenance-free lifestyle will empower you to explore new passions, dive deeper into lifelong interests, travel freely, make new friends or just enjoy your newfound freedom. And there’s ample opportunity to let your talents shine through our many creative arts programs.
Come fill your days with choices to enrich your mind, body and spirit — like a morning workout with a certified fitness specialist, participation in Senior Olympics, a fun glass-fusing class, an enriching TED Talk, a symphony performance, an afternoon on The Spirit of Norfolk, dinner at a local restaurant and much more!
To learn more about how life at The Chesapeake can make you shine inside and out, please fill out the request form.
Arts and Education Programming
A full and enriching lifestyle includes experiences in the arts and opportunities to expand your talents and knowledge. At The Chesapeake, you’ll find so many ways to engage — whether as an artist or performer, or as one who enjoys and appreciates the talents of others. You’ll also find abundant opportunities for lifelong learning through educational lectures and seminars.
Our Creative Arts Studio hosts a variety of classes in the visual arts, from various forms of painting and drawing to Ukrainian egg dyeing, jewelry making and glass fusing; new classes fill the calendar all the time. Our campus is home to accomplished artists as well as those who simply enjoy learning and developing their skills. Resident artwork is regularly displayed in our community.
We offer an ongoing variety of musical performances for residents to enjoy. Whether it’s a performance by well-known local talent or one of the many talented residents who live right here, we offer something for everyone and every musical taste. You can also join our community chorus, chimes group and more.
Our convenient location puts us close to a wealth of community resources, such as historic sites and a variety of museums, theaters and performance centers. Our frequent outings to area cultural events are a popular feature of life at The Chesapeake. Here we’ve listed just a small selection of the attractions you’ll find nearby:
- Christopher Newport University and Ferguson Center for the Arts
- The Mariners’ Museum/USS Monitor Center
- Langley Air & Space Museum
- Virginia Living Museum
- Virginia War Museum
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center
- Peninsula Community Theatre
- Jefferson Labs
Our well-equipped hobby shop lets you pursue your interests without having to bring your own equipment. Residents have use of workbenches with table saws, a drill press, circular and scroll saws, sanders, and a jointer. There is a spirit of sharing and teaching among the crafters of all levels who enjoy building and tinkering in the shop.
Health and Fitness Services and Amenities
- Well-designed fitness center managed by the National Center for Fitness and Sport, with certified exercise specialists ready to help develop or expand a personalized plan just right for your needs
- Heated indoor saltwater pool with a variety of therapeutic classes
- Soothing whirlpool and sauna
- Customized fitness programs for your needs and goals
- Group exercise classes, including yoga, balance and aqua aerobics
- Walking and cycling paths; indoor walking course just right for rainy days
- Exceptional dining venues; lounge with premium wine and beer
- Wine club with dinner and wine tastings
- Catering services for special events
- Creative arts studio offering oil and acrylic painting, fused glass, and jewelry making
- Hobby shop for woodworking, stained glass creations and crafting projects
- Lifelong learning programs
- Business center with high-speed internet
- College lecture series and informative TED Talks
- Vegetable, flower and butterfly gardens
- Interdenominational worship services, Bible studies and Sunday school
- Prayer chapel and chaplain
- Putting green
- Billiards, game rooms and theater center
- Media center
- Pet-friendly community
- Regular shopping excursions
- Emergency generator service
Social and Entertainment
- On-site concerts, lectures and theater presentations
- Multiple resident lounges, courtyards and terraces
- Robust calendar of weekly classes, programs and events
- Cultural and performing arts trips
- “Dining Club” trips to unique local restaurants
- Game nights with mahjong and dominoes
- Weekly card games such as bridge, canasta, hand and foot, and others
- Movies on campus and in local theaters
- Volunteer opportunities within the community and at nearby sites such as The Mariners’ Museum, Fine Arts Center, Virginia Air & Space Center, and Virginia Living Museum
- Day trips to the Eastern Shore, Richmond, Charlottesville and other great locations
- Beauty and barber salons
- Pharmacy delivery
- Seamstress for alterations and repairs
- Mobile library
- Computer training and assistance
- Access to digital TouchTown app with access to menus, events, resident phone numbers, and much more; may be accessed by family members as well
- Gift shop filled with delightful gifts and seasonal clothing
- Daily newspaper delivery to your door
- Licensed home care
- Full-service bank
- Massage therapy
- Guest suites with complimentary breakfast